Thursday, September 1, 2011

ECI 517 1st Unit Blog

I felt that these two types of web modules were very similar. Though personalized system of instruction is more, well, personalized, it seemed to use much of the same principles of the audio-tutorial model. I guess what I mean is that both of these theories involve a student guiding themselves through prerecorded lectures about a particular topic. While the idea that the student is guiding himself at his own pace is good, I think both models rely too heavily on a lecture based, assign and tell model. As we have learned in other classes, this requires a motivated student. So, I could see these types of modules working very well for a professional environment where there is a monetary and authority based incentive. However, in the classroom, I think I would limit using this module type. The benefit, if used correctly, for this module type could be large though. Because in one recording session, you are effectively giving personalized instruction to many, many students. The audio-tutorial model did rely on an additional facilitator, which I think will definitely strengthen the experience for the student, but it would require more individualized instruction, so it isn't quite as much bang for the buck on the time side.

I think that the audio-tutorial approach could make it into my classroom. Perhaps as a way of teaching grammar and style within a writing workshop class. So, if I were to notice during a writing conference that a student was struggling with a particular element, I could have audio-tutorials posted on a website that I could direct the student to. I would be using some basic web tools like google sites, and I could use voicethread or something similar to create the individual lessons, with the pictures on the slides acting as the lessons, but a screen casting program would probably be best, or a video to guide the student through the lesson. Then, after they completed the module in question, I could have a tutorial with the student during which I could confirm that they understood the material. That's really the best usage I can think of for either of these approaches, and only because grammar is kind of dry (of course the audio lesson would include in text examples, teaching it within the proper context). Otherwise, I think I would elect for more interactive types of tutorials.

6 comments:

  1. Good observations about the heavy reliance of lecture in both methods, a format not proven to be highly successful for learning material. I agree with you that grammar lessons tend to be "dry" - same with Foreign Language! But I wonder if podcasting (or A-T method) could be better utilized in a language class? Perhaps students could listen to a reading and analyze it for areas such as tone, mood, or dialect, or with comprehension questions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading about these theories, I also noticed that they had some similarities. I agree that it takes a very motivated person to complete these modules. It seems as though they are not very interactive and engaging. In order to keep students attention in the classroom, it is crucial to have these elements. I think these modules have potential and could be modified to improve their effectiveness for classroom use. As for the A-T theory, I believe podcasts would be beneficial for classroom use. However, they should not be the only form of instruction. Great obersvations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While reading you post I remembered a web 2.0 classroom tool that could be used to implement the grammar and writing styles. It is www.voki.com, It could be incorporated in the A-T theory approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good points! Your comment about use in “a professional environment where there is a monetary and authority based incentive” reminds me of the frequent use of these types of models for organizational training. Companies often use the PSI approach for required training – independent, self-paced, modular with successful completion of quizzes required for progression. This fits with your assessment in terms of the monetary/authority based incentive, because the employees are often required to complete the training as a condition of employment. You also mention the ability of “giving personalized instruction to many, many students” which is also a plus for large corporate training needs.

    I liked your ideas about implementing an A-T approach with modern technology. Audio delivery seems like a great way of learning grammar concepts because “hearing” the proper usage probably really helps to reinforce the concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your idea of using the AT model to provide individualized lessons in grammar and style. Personally, I love Grammar Girl’s podcasts (grammargirl.com), but many of my students find them “cheesy” or a turn off. I never considered designing my own, but I think you may be onto something…by incorporating instructor interaction to affirm material comprehension, you could really tailor lessons to meet a variety of students’ needs. I hope to learn more in this course to be able to undertake a project of this scope. Thanks for the post…Terri Scalf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Willis,
    Your comparison of the two methods is right on. The focus on individualism is why they are lumped together in this unit. Also, underlying them is behaviorist learning theory, so that's the root of many of the similarities you pointed out. I like your idea of using the A-T approach in a sense for remediation and it could also be used to provide extra material for more advanced students. Keep in mind though, that the A-T approach is not just the self-study portion, but that it also includes the small and large group debrifing sessions.

    ReplyDelete