Thursday, September 29, 2011

ECI 517 2nd Unit Blog

All three of these educational modules focus on groups, and so I think they present a challenge for web integration. It is not a challenge that is insurmountable but I do think that these three are more challenging than the previous, individualized models for instruction. Throughout graduate school, I have been exposed to both the cooperative learning model and Problem-based learning. I especially like problem-based learning, or as it is commonly called in English Language Arts curriculum inquiry based learning. I really like the idea of students directing their own instruction, and addressing real life problems, as problem-based learning allows students to do. I have seen it presented in the past as students discussing issues relating to a novel (in ELA), then from the discussion and listing of different issues, investigating one, and producing a creative product based on it. So, for instance if I were to do a unit on The Crucible, we'd have a fairly traditional unit going through the book, then based on the themes we might discuss, sin, betrayal, accusations, McCarthyism, students would select a topic and conduct an inquiry. I think this could work well in combination with one of the other individualistic type models, if students were guided through a work and then set loose for a week or so to produce a creative product on their own.

Cooperative Learning, I guess would work much like our unit projects have worked in this class, in that I would assign students to a group, and have them work together to produce a project. I personally do not like jigsawing because sometimes I think everyone should be involved in everything and slowly gravitate to what is best for them. Of course this would assume a lot of responsibility on the part of the student, so I think in a high school class I might be required to define roles within the group more. I think cooperative learning goes on in the classroom all the time, so honestly there wasn't much new here.

Situated Learning and Cognitive Apprenticeship, also has some good correlation with an accepted Language Arts curriculum, and I think it could work pretty well over the web, so long as there is consistent contact with the mentor. Writing workshops, of course, are what I'm talking about. I think that they are a great example of apprenticeship, because the teacher models how to be a writer, how to think like a writer, and how to consider things as a writer. Students explore their abilities, get feedback and go back and explore some more. This really does make a lot of sense when you think about it in an historical context, because that is how people learned their trades before modern schooling. I think the best way to do this on the internet would be to set it up as a writing workshop, provide some prompts and discussion about prewriting and revision techniques, and then constantly stay in contact with the students via skype to discuss their progress and process. To me, it is the most promising of these three activities for developing young writers.

7 comments:

  1. Will, it was interesting that you and I thought along the same lines on The Crucilble (teaching it now) but I still fail to jump to research as PBL! The references to placing responsibility on students and to everyone needing to be involved in some instruction (as opposed to jigsawing) hit home in light of conversation with students about a jigsawed reading/teaching assignment: 'I will do what is assigned but I really don't care about what anyone else did' seemed to be the prevailing attitude. How do we promote that responsibility that seems to derive from a desire simply to learn and know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting to read about the connections between the modules discussed and your content area. I teach math and science so looking at the modules from a different perspective allowed me to understand how these modules can be used in a variety of ways. I really like your idea of setting up a writing workshop with different prompts and discussion opportunities in respect to the situated learning module. I like this approach while staying in touch with the intructor, peers, and possibly an additional expert. Each module seems to have desirable components to implement. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I read your blog, I could not think of how to use Cooperative Learning in my classroom. Actually, my first reaction to CL had been, “Isn’t there a little bit of this in all classrooms…to a certain degree?” I was thinking of the bell curve that most of us swear we don’t use, but it is so hard not to compare students’ work. Now, however, you have reminded me of writing workshops and this made me think of peer review. I am a big proponent of peer review for my freshmen composition classes. I use a very thorough checklist for a student team to use in analyzing each other’s work. This is cooperative learning (I just never thought of it as applied theory before). I appreciate your thoughts and how they made me think of my own classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your ELA implementation, I teach science and that is where my head normally goes. I wouldn't have thought about using writer's workshops or lit circles for one of these projects, but now I am curious about integrating one of these styles and a text into our science curriculum.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Dave Walsh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's interesting you thought the cooperative models would be more difficult to implement on the web. Why do you think so? Are you alluding to an asynchronous online setting, since people in those settings often have trouble finding time to set up a synchronous meeting? Or do you think group work online in general is more difficult since the face-to-face aspect of communication is not there? Or is there something else that makes it difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is both. Meeting up is always difficult, but also not meeting each week I think affects the personal interactions that make cooperative learning successful. I have seen it really work in one class, where we met in Second Life every week, so it was as though we had class each week, we just communicated trough a different medium.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you tied the modules into the language arts curriculum and how you gave specific examples. It is interesting to see how other teachers would implement these lessons in their own classroom.

    ReplyDelete