Thursday, November 17, 2011

Final Blog Post

All of these models seem to be tailor made for the web. Which is good, but I think they all are kind of poorly suited to the English Language Arts classroom, unfortunately. This is because, especially for the case based learning and case based reasoning, I think the best model has already been developed in the form of writing workshops and multi genre inquiries. Writing workshop presents English Language Arts students multiple ways to approach the problem of writing, and models for students the ways that a writer operates in the real world. Similarly, MGI presents students with the problem of needing to research any topic of their choosing and allows them to produce any number of different creative pieces in order to explore and report the research. It seems to me that learning objects present are very similar to the previous modules we have studied. It just seems like a really web based way to present real world problems to students. As I have previously stated, Writing Workshop and MGI are both great ways to do this in the English classroom. And both can be integrated with modern technology, especially in the case of the multi genre inquiry. For one that I completed this past semester, I created an entire website, and was able to use poetry, journal entries and more to reflect the research that I did. To me, that's the best way to do any sort of real world approximation of English Language Arts, but I'm not sure that either technique fits very well with the idea of a case based model. At least, it wouldn't look entirely like case based models from other subjects.

Cognitive Flexibility on the other hand, is a good way to further alter the traditional research paper. i really enjoyed participating in the modeled Cognitive flexibility project, and I could see using similar techniques to do a class wide research paper. At least using the CF as a jumping off point. That would be an innovative way for the class to do and discuss research, and then I could follow that up with an additional question that students would have to answer in a more formal paper. I think that is the best way I can think of to integrate CF into the English classroom, because while new technology can be a good way to present material and have students conduct research, the common core standards are still going to require the students to make progress as writers primarily.

I'm not sure that I totally understand or see the point of learning objects. It is an economical way for businesses or other institutions that have to educate employees or members occasionally to go about it. But it seems to lack coherence or direction, and perhaps I'm not thinking outside of the box enough, but I think that given the wealth of other types of learning modules that I would never use learning objects intentionally in the classroom. As I look towards student teaching in the Spring, I am really overwhelmed at how I can fit my curriculum into the small amount of time I have as it is, and I think there may be a time when learning objects could work as a way to teach small units like grammar and vocab, or for remediation of a small lesson like grammar or style to a single student, but I'm not sure that it would fit into my overall plan. Mostly because I want to try and encourage a lot of group interaction into the classroom, and learning objects seem to be focused on the individual. Again, I'm not sure that I completely understand them but that is the way it seemed to me.

6 comments:

  1. It's true, most English or composition lessons are difficult to use with Learning Objects. However, I have seen some good LO's that taught writing summaries vs. paraphrasing, plagiarism, citing properly, MLA formatting, integrating sources, using signal phrases, etc. I have found them useful, especially for independent learning (like a fourth hour outside of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very thought provoking post. I was wondering if the Case-Based and Cognitive Flexibility models would be great for the Language Arts classroom?

    Language Arts (LA) is all about reading and stories and the ways that people relate to others and the world around them. As a middle school Science teacher I would often teach cross-curricular lessons where students would write stories in LA that would center around Science topics. I think using 'Cases' of scientists making discoveries would be great as writing prompts for Non-fiction lessons. Perhaps fictional stories of Science experiments gone wrong would be interesting as a Fiction lesson.

    An interesting Cognitive Flexibility type lesson would be gathering some resources from the NASA website, perhaps letters from astronauts in space, and getting students to compare them, much like the Plantation Letters assignment we completed. After all, 'Cases' are just stories of people and things that happen to them. Case-Based Learning is using these stories to inform us on a particular topic or circumstance. Again, I was a middle school Science teacher, so I'm not completely sure these models would work, but here are my thoughts on how it might work well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Will, since we are both ELA teachers, I started in the same place - because ours are the skills necessary to complete work for most other classes (reading, analysis, critical thinking/connecting, writing, speaking/presenting...) I wondered about these models. I do, however, begin to see ways to use them to teach novel study - cases of similar 'plot incidents' with different outcomes. and recognizing that Star Wars is just a western set in space helps, too... I think TJ offered excellent ideas and I will probably try to work with some of his thoughts as I begin Scarlet Letter and later (after AP test) when I teach Gatsby. But these will be indivual 'searches' that must come back to the classroom and be shared... For career (30++ years) English teachers as well as beginners, it is often hard to look 'beyond the book' because, for us, the book - and discussion of it - is where it's at. I guess the world is changing so much that learning now is all separate and individual; I don't love it. Certainly, there is a place for learning individually and all of us have found it, but I love the expressions that jump and change as a discussion happens in my real-life room - and the eagerness I see in blase adolescents to connect their lives to story. I love the 'light bulb' moments that are shared and that moment when an excited 'yes!' is whisper-shouted across the room...TOGETHER in learning, not separated. Good luck with student teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that these modules might be hard for ELA. I also think they could be hard for Math as well. As an elementary school teacher who teaches all subjects, I think these modules would be most beneficial for Social Studies and Science.

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Heather that I didn't see the issue with incorporating one of these methods into my classroom because I only teach 7th grade science. I think that using the CFT to discuss ethics issues in genetics would be interesting. I can see the concern with trying to squeeze one more thing into an already packed curriculum. i felt the pressure when I was a math teacher and especially when I was in an elementary classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised by your comments about learning objects, since I see them more as collaboration between teachers than in the realm of training employees. The way I understand learning objects, they are modules that designers/instructors have created on particular topics, and provided that the objectives, goals, and intended audience are clearly defined, any other teacher with the same objectives and audience could use the learning object to achieve those objectives and goals with their learners. I agree with you that the readings in this module were a bit complex, though, so perhaps that's why you didn't get as good a vibe about how practical this is for an ELA classroom? I also agree with you that a lot of what is described in these models is individualized learning, but it doesn't mean that the students can't discuss together what their individual insights were from the activities in the instruction. Look at the Plantation Exercise you all participated in this semester, for example! You could definitely structure a discussion around everyone's comments.

    ReplyDelete