Sunday, October 30, 2011

3rd Unit Blog

All of these learning modules present some revolutionary modules for learning, and teaching by doing. Much like the problem solving module type we looked at in the last unit, these modules provide real world problem solving opportunities for students.

I like that the MOST model focuses on nontraditional students and seems to be a great model for allowing all students to succeed. But I think the other modules, especially anchored instruction when I envision a high school English classroom, provide an excellent opportunity to effectively educate all students. I have struggled with the sentiments present in all these models when I look at how to organize my classroom. Because, like these modules, I want all of my classroom instruction and assessment to be authentic. And in reality, while employed there are practically no times when one is asked to complete a multiple choice test. Employees are given problems and a finite amount of time in which to solve them. All of these modules seem to try and solve this instructional problem, so this was an enjoyable unit for me.

All of the modules point to a focus on problem solving skills, but do seem to require a lot of input from the teacher, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be award of when implementing. Because it seems like students will need a decent mentor in order to navigate these difficult problems. I do have faith that students can solve complicated problems when challenged, but I also know that there will be a lot of questions, and a lot of need for scaffolding the learning process to make sure that students succeed.

I see myself using the anchored instruction model the most because it is cooperative, and because it opens the door for students to sort of construct the way the project is going to go, with less direction from the instructor. I can see this working very well with thematic units, in which the instructor determines the theme and offers a group of books poems, or short stories that the students can engage with, and can then use modern internet based methods to react to each piece of literature in a unique and "real world way" I could see this being with video, creating a website, designing a game relating to the work, there are plenty of possibilities, and I think the beauty is in that the students direct the work, and can find something that speaks to them as well as the literature.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that the anchored model is what appeals to you, and you are right, it has the potential of capitalizing on students' independent thinking, but do keep in mind that the instructor, while not directing the work, has to put in a lot of thought into designing the instruction ahead of time and it can be very time-consuming to think of all the possibilities and try to account for them in the instruction. So, it is certainly labor-intensive for the instructor in the role of instructional designer. Good luck as you proceed with the project!

    ReplyDelete